Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Creativity
Creativity.... what are we doing to nature creativity in kids? Many schools are not doing enough to nature creativity in kids. I do agree to a certain extend. Schools in Singapore are very focused in academic pursue and very often, creativity is not nature. For one, time is limited to cover the vast number of topics and thus, time is limited to nature creativity.
Enough of talks about schools... how about adults, parents? It seems that we often impose our views/thoughts on kids, instead of letting them do what they want. One day, while my son was playing with lego, he made a car and held it up with his hands, imaging it to fly. The first thing that came to my mind was that a car is meant to travel on the road, not in the air, and I immediately told him, "No... you cannot do that as a car cannot fly."
Now, why can't a car fly? Yes, it cannot fly now, but who says it cannot in time to come? In a sense, by telling him that a car cannot fly, am I limiting his ability to dream, and to be creativity? We let what we know about our world restrict our ability to be creativity. So, instead of telling our kids, I feel that we should just let them imagine.... whatever they think is possible (to them).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment